Friday, July 21, 2006

Ark II, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command coming to DVD...

Okay, I guess I'm having what has become known as a "geek-gasm."

My friend Fred just made me aware of a press release from a company called BCI. Turns out the company has acquired pretty much the entire Filmation catalog going back thirty-to-forty years, and is in the process of releasing several classic Saturday morning cult TV series on DVD.

By the end of this year, we can expect Ark II which occurs "in the year 2476. Earth is a wasteland, and the team of Jonah, Ruth, Samuel and their monkey sidekick, Adam, try to help what's left of humanity."

Also on tap for '06: The New Adventures of He-Man, and She-Ra!

In 2007, things get even better. BCI is releasing Space Academy ("a group of young cadets at Space Academy face danger and adventure as they learn what mysteries lie within the galaxy...") and Jason of Star Command ("Outer space adventurer Jason and friends must contend with the evil Dragos and an assortment of aliens in the ultimate spaceship battles.")

And - holy cow! - then there's the best of all: The Secrets of Isis starring hottie Joanna Cameron. ("One of television's most popular superheroines returns as school teacher Andrea Thomas and uses her magic amulet to become the powerful Isis, endowed with the powers of the gods and goddesses.")

Damn, I can't wait to see these Saturday morning shows again. I don't know if they'll be "great" or even "good," but they sure as hell will be nostalgic. I plan on ordering all of them. Where's Shazam? And when can we expect Run, Joe Run?

You can read the press release
here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:28 PM

    my god man!! live action saturday morning overload!!!!! "Jason of Starcommand"? "Ark II"? Freeking wow!!I will own them all..starting first with "Ghostbusters"!!! That has not even been found as a bootleg over the years ...I can't *!#@ing wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And where's some Filmation animation? I'd like Fantastic Voyage myself. (And, God help us, Lassie's Rescue Rangers, despite how awful it was...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Great news!!!

    I've been waiting for Jason and Space Academy to come out on DVD. The only bad part is that I have to wait until 2007!

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...