Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Collectible of the Week: Star Bird Intruder (Milton Bradley; 1980)




One of my favorite toy-lines of the 1970s and early 1980s is the “Star Bird” from Milton Bradley. 

I’ve featured the Star Bird Avenger and Command Base here on the blog before, but today I wanted to remember the final toy in this “franchise:” The Star Bird Intruder.

The box terms this menacing ship “the electronic space raider” featuring “exciting engine sounds, firing photon beams, battle sounds and a special target.” 



Equipped with new “exciting electronics,” this toy features a pistol grip for dogfights with the Avenger but which takes away from the compact design and reality of the design a little.  One really awesome element, however, is the “skull” cockpit decal which suggests that the space raider is actually a pirate ship.

I also never liked the fact that this “villain” ship in the line features the same nose component of the Star Bird.  I would have preferred something entirely different or alien. 

But, when I was a kid and played with this toy, the “pretend” story-line involved the fact that the bad guy “space raiders” had cannibalized a derelict Star Bird and re-purposed it.  I wish I still had my Intruder today, but I only have a few pieces, the nose cone sans the outer shell, and a piece of one of the engine casings that came off.

Still, I love these Star Birds toys, and as a reader suggested not long ago, someone should come along and turn these toys into a great space movie.  The design of the Avenger and the Command Base still hold up, and even the old Intruder could make a cameo appearance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...