Monday, June 03, 2013

Ask JKM a Question: Ranking the Star Trek Movies, post Into Darkness?


Regular reader and commenter SGB writes:

"How do you now rate the twelve Star Trek films best to worst #1 to #12?"

Great question, SGB, especially since I loved the new Star Trek film, and think it lands in the top tier.

Here is my revised tally:


Tier One (Meaning Classic, or Great)

1.      Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

2.      Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

3.    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

4.      Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)


Tier Two (Meaning good)

5.      Star Trek (2009)

6.      Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)

7.      Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

8.      Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)


Tier Three (Meaning, not-so-good, and sometimes downright awful)

9.      Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

10.      Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

11.  Star Trek: Generations (1994)

12.  Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:19 PM

    John thanks for answering this question. I definitely think that your top four, including Star Trek Into Darkness, are absolutely perfect. I agree.

    Also, what are your thoughts regarding Star Trek Into Darkness nod to Space:1999 "The Exiles".

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SGB:

      Thank you for another great question. I enjoyed answering it, and positioning Into Darkness into the canon.

      You are absolutely right, by the way, about there being a plot connection between the film and a second season entry of Space:1999.

      In The Exiles, Moonbase Alpha encountered a "swarm" of deadly space missiles. When one was retrieved, it was discovered that criminals were housed inside in suspended animation. Into Darkness is very similar in set-up and execution, indeed.

      Good catch!

      best,
      John

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:30 PM

      Thanks John for your thoughts on "The Exiles" connection.

      SGB

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:53 PM

    June 4 1982 Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan released in U.S. theaters.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just viewed Darkness. ...fantastic film!!As for ranking, though I've seen all the films, I'm just not a big enough fan to rank them. I'll give you Wrath, a terrific entry. But the 1979 film was quite bizarre and ultimately boring to me. And after The Search For Spock, the cast seemed to be tired and bored.
    The Next Generation films were okay, but seemed to be just 90 minute versions of the tv show.
    But the Abrams-directed features, imho, are far and away superior to every entry except for Wrath, which I would still rank as #1, if only that if not for that entry, there might not have been the sequels or even Next Gen....the 1979 film was that deplorable. Abrams has raised the bar,and I look forward to the next entry in this franchise.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...