Monday, June 17, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Film Characters: Brent Fox


Our first reader list for this go-round is in, and it comes from my friend, Brent Fox.  Here are his selections for the ten greatest science fiction film characters in film history:

  
1.      Taylor (Planet of the Apes [1968])

2.      Ripley (Alien [1979], etc.)

3.      The Terminator (The Terminator [1984], etc.)

4.      Logan 5 (Logan’s Run [1976])

5.      Admiral/Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek [1979 – 1994])

6.      Obi Wan Kenobi (Star Wars [1977])

7.      Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back [1980])

8.      R2-D2 (Star Wars [1977], etc.)

9.      Riddick (Pitch Black [2000], etc.)

10.  HAL 9000 (2001: A Space Odyssey [1968])

I love that Brent’s list includes Logan (Michael York) from Logan’s Run (1976), a character I have loved since my childhood, and also Riddick, from David Twohy’s Pitch Black saga.   

Back in 2008, I wrote an article here on the blog about the “allure of evil” in film as represented by Richard B. Riddick, and how, in essence, he’s almost a John Carpenter-style hero: an-anti-establishment figure you would find in Assault on Precinct 13, for instance, or Escape from New York.  So it’s great to see Riddick make it onto this tally.

Otherwise, this list is also notable for the inclusion of no less than three characters from the Star Wars saga, and all great choices at that.  I went with Darth Vader for my list, but Kenobi, Yoda and R2-D2 are outstanding selections as well.

As a rabid Planet of the Apes admirer, I’m also happy to see Charlton Heston’s George Taylor top this list.  He’s a great 1970s hero and anti-hero, and one of the most memorable and individualistic protagonists in sci-fi film history.

Don’t forget, readers: send me your list of top-ten greatest science fiction characters of all time, at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com

I’ll post them here, and then at the end of the week, I’ll tally up the totals and present a “results” page.

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant, including both Logan 5 and Admiral/Captain Kirk.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, SGB. Those are great choices. I was reserving my Star Trek characters for a TV list, where, in some sense, they had more a chance to shine than in the movies...but still, I can't quibble with the choice of Admiral Kirk. I'll never forget watching Star Trek III, as the Enterprise sat nose to nose with the Klingon Bird of Prey, and the entire theater was silent and rapt in anticipation of what "next move" Kirk would make. A great character indeed!


      Delete
  2. Sitting this one out. No way I can do justice to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,

      I understand your feelings. This is a tough one. I must admit, after publishing my list, I now wish I had also thought to include Snake Plissken.

      Anyway, if you change your mind, I would love to read your list...

      best,
      John

      Delete
  3. I'd have a hard time narrowing down a top 10, but I don't think it would be complete without R.J. MacReady.

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...