Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Toys of Childhood: Collin R. Skocik


Author and friend Collin R. Skocik offers the next top ten “greatest toys of childhood” list for today.

Collin writes:


1. Bespin World - the Star Wars micro-figure playset of Cloud City, which could freeze Han Solo, fling Luke out the window into the shaft, have Luke and Vader fighting on the gantry…man, I had hours of fun with that.


2. The Millennium Falcon - the one with the removable top, detailed interior, cockpit with seats for the action figures, landing gear, gun turrets, great fun.



3. X-Wing to scale with action figure, press on Artoo’s head to lock S-foils in attack position, fire a glowing proton torpedo with impossible sound effect, and you could even add battle damage decals.



4. Castle Grayskull.

5. Planet of the Apes spaceship I built out of manila folders, cardboard, toilet paper tubes, and tires off of toy cars.



6. Five-inch snap-together Starship Enterprise.

7. A stick I found in my backyard and used as a rifle. (The best toy was always my imagination.)

8. A piece of driftwood which I turned into a starship which became the basis of one of my stories. (See #7)



9. My backyard swing-set.



 10. Handheld Pac-Man videogame machine that “looks, sounds, and plays like the full-size arcade game.”


Collin: I love your idiosyncratic list, and the fact that you tagged your favorite stick, and your swing-set.  

You are absolutely right that imagination can spawn hours of play, and that you don’t always need the latest or greatest toy.  

My son Joel, for instance, turned a Styrofoam insert for a ceiling fan into a Cyberman “tomb” last year.  And he loves to use an egg-beater as Maximillian’s propeller blades from The Black Hole (1979).  

And I also always wanted a Planet of the Apes spaceship toy.  I sometimes used the G.I. Joe space capsule, and at other times I used the Amsco Cardboard Playset little ship.  But I always wanted one for the Mego figures...

Cheers for a really fun list!

1 comment:

  1. John your son has a wonderful imagination for using an egg-beater as Maximillian's propeller blades.

    As a boy in the '70s my obsession in science-fiction toys that were not merchandised included the A.N.S.A. spaceship from Planet Of The Apes. I too built a cardboard one scaled to Star Wars figures. It is amazing that a model or toy with action figures was not produced in the '70s.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...