Monday, June 23, 2014

Ask JKM: Space 1999 Season Two Intro?


Regular reader and friend, SGB writes:

“John, I have a simple question regarding the opening intro credits to Space: 1999 (1975 -1977) season 1 vs. season 2.

I think that season 2 should have kept the same opening score and intro credits as seen in season one.   Here are the Season One intro cards:



Obviously, Victor Bergman would have been replaced in the intro with Maya. The impressiveness of the season 1 intro score and images cannot be ignored. It was missed in season 2.”

Now this is what season 2 opening images would have looked like which found on a now defunct Eric Bernard's Space:2099 site.



What do you think as a fellow Space:1999 fan?

Thanks John."




SGB: That’s an intriguing question.  I also agree with you about the quality of the Year One intro.  It gets the blood going; it gives me chills.

In hindsight we can also see that using the same theme song and introduction would have maintained continuity between seasons, and that’s a good thing. 

Today, many fans argue that the two seasons actually occur in alternate or separate universes!  In part, this is because so much -- including the titles -- is altered.

I know that, however, at the time the show was being made, producer Fred Freiberger wasn’t looking for continuity, necessarily.  

Instead, he wanted to demonstrate to those who tuned in -- and on an immediate basis at that -- that Space:1999 had been “punched up” to be more exciting and fast moving.  

I prefer Year One titles and introductory montage, but I can see how the Year Two opening montage delivers that meme to virtual perfection.  It's snappy, colorful, dynamic and on-point. It describes, with visuals, the series premise.

If you ask me, however, many of the changes sought and executed for Year Two subtracted from Space:1999’s best qualities. 

Now, I love the character of Maya and Catherine Schell's performance, there are some great Eagle shots in Year Two, and some episodes really do work like gangbusters (“The Metamorph” and “The Exiles,” off the top of my head).
  
But on a critical and personal basis, I prefer the “mysteries” in space approach to the “action” in space approach, right down to the opening montage.  

That said, I enjoyed very much writing my interpretation of a Year Two story, for The Whispering Sea...

Don’t forget to ask me your questions at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you John for your thoughts on my question. I agree with your analysis. Especially, that it would have maintained continuity between seasons and season one intro score is superior. That is what I liked about the original Star Trek series kept the same intro for all three seasons. Even with the radical cast changes and set changes of Space:1999 season two, this identical intro would have made both seasons seem more related. Albeit, it would never have made up for the lack of “mysteries” in space of season two.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:34 PM

    Hello John Kenneth Muir,
    I absolutely loved your Space:1999 book "The Whispering Sea"! I wanted to put this out there and let you know! While reading the book it was as if I was watching a new episode of 1999 in my head where I could see the characters themselves! Your book was that well written! Sloppy seconds! LOL! I almost fell out of my chair! Keep up the good work and write more 1999 novels!

    all the best -adam

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...