Friday, July 04, 2014

At Flashbak: 5 Most Underrated Stephen King Movies


Flashbak, a new spin-off of Anorak, has posted my new article, which concerns underrated films based on the canon of Stephen King.

Here's a snippet (and here's the url:  http://flashbak.com/the-5-most-underrated-stephen-king-horror-film-adaptations-16858/)

Hollywood filmmakers have been adapting the literary works of horror maestro Stephen King since 1976, and often with tremendous financial and critical success. 

De Palma’s Carrie (1976), Kubrick’s The Shining (1980), Romero’s Creepshow (1982) and Cronenberg’s The Dead Zone (1983) are just a few memorable titles from the first wave of silver screen adaptations, but other, later successes include Misery (1990) and The Mist (2008).

With a canon that includes over fifty films at this point, it’s only natural that some efforts should be forgotten or not quite given their due as works of art.

That idea in mind, below are listed, in chronological order, five of the most underrated films based on the genre works of Stephen King.

1 comment:

  1. Good list, John. I am also fond of "Creepshow 2". "The Raft" and "The Hitchhiker" are good stories but I also like the first story, "Old Chief Wood'nhead". The owner of the store knows what the Chief can do/has done and lets it happen, which is pleasing. It's not as good as the original "Creepshow", but if you like anthologies, this is a lot of fun.

    I have only seen "Cujo" once and I remember feeling so desperate for the mother, it made it hard to watch. Effective, yes. But tough to want to revisit.

    "Graveyard Shift" is just a heavy, depressing movie. It's dank, dirty and disgusting. I liked it but the characters have no redeeming qualities that I can recall.

    I have not seen the last two on your list, but will need to add them to my watchlist.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...